“How does it feel to be the most hated person right now?”
“I can’t wait to hear about you getting stomped to the curb.”
“You are nothing but a slut”
“You gave me the clap.”
“You ugly cow, stay away from my boyfriend.”
“The world is better without you.”
“You will never amount to anything. Just go die!”
These are just a few things some people are told on a daily basis. Over the past decade, bullying has became more frequent in every day life. Technology has helped improve life but also destroy it at the same time. Every day, thousands of people cry themselves to sleep over cyber bullying.
What exactly is cyber bullying? According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, cyber bullying is “the electronic posting of mean-spirited messages about a person (as a student) often done anonymously.” What’s even worse than the thought of bullying is the statistics:
- About 42 percent of kids have been bullied while online with one in four being verbally attacked more than once.
- About 35 percent of kids have been threatened online.
- About 58 percent of kids and teens have reported that something mean has been said about them or to them online.
- Other bullying statistics show that about 77 percent of students have admitted to being the victim of one type of bullying or another.
- The American Justice Department bullying statistics show that one out of every 4 kids will be bullied sometime throughout their adolescence.
- 46 percent of males followed by 26 percent of females have admitted to being victims in physical fights as reported in one report of bullying statistics by the Bureau of Justice School
Everyone has either been a victim of cyber bullying or knows someone who has, I myself have been a victim. When you go out of your way to bully someone in such a form you are not only hurting them mentally but ruining his/her reputation; if you post on a site such as Topix that a teacher is doing drugs, that teacher could lose their job and never get hired again. How would you feel if someone ruined your whole life because they sent a pointless comment for the whole world to see?
Before bullying someone you need to think. Until you are the one thinking about how the world would be better without you, taking a blade across your body to relieve your emotional pain, the one crying yourself to sleep every night, the one thinking of ways to die and so forth you don’t know the pain. “The boy you punched in the hall today, committed suicide a few minutes ago. That girl you called a slut in class today, she’s a virgin. The boy you called lame, he has to work every night to support his family. That girl you called fat, she’s starving herself. The old man you made fun of because of the ugly scars, he fought for our country. The boy you made fun of for crying, his mother is dying. You think you know them. Guess what? You don’t!”
Put yourself in their shoes. Think before you type!